Orange & macadamia sponge cake (vegan)
I made this cake up for Mother’s Day for my wonderful mother. She was craving an orange cake and I was happy to oblige.
This sponge has the base of a vanilla sponge with some sneaky orange zest and juice to make it zing. The macadamia nuts are not a necessity but they really bring the whole cake together.
What you’ll need:
350 g cake flour
320 g white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup almond milk
½ cup sunflower/canola oil
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 oranges, zested and juiced
1 orange (zested and juiced)
250 g vegan butter or margarine
500 g icing sugar
3 TBS almond milk
120 g macadamia nuts
3 TBS castor sugar
How to do it:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Spray 2 cake tins with nonstick spray and line the bottoms with baking paper.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt.
- Add the sugar, milk, oil, vinegar, vanilla and orange zest and juice. Using a hand whisk, mix it together until it is just combined. Don’t over mix, it doesn’t have to be completely smooth.
- Divide the batter equally between the two pans and bake for 30 minutes or when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool on a wire rack while you make the icing.
- Make sure your butter is at room temperature, you want it soft but not melted.
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer with a whisk attachment until light and fluffy.
- Add the sifted icing sugar a little at a time until it comes together. When all the icing sugar is incorporated, keep beating while you add the orange zest and juice.
- When it has come together, if it is still a bit thick, keep beating while adding the almond milk.
- When your cakes are completely cool, ice as desired and top with your toasted macadamia nuts.
If you liked this recipe and are looking for more delicious vegan cakes, how about trying out my:
Best ever vegan chocolate cake
Very Berry vegan cake
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe as much as I did. And as always, if you give it a try, drop me a message and let me know how it turned out! Or tag me in your creations on Instagram @ninarlasvegas
Love and health to all of you,