Vegan coconut cake
What you’ll need:
2 ½ cups cake flour
1 cup white sugar
½ cup light brown sugar (or coconut sugar is fine too)
1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp fine salt
2 cups desiccated coconut (I used IMBO)
1 can full fat coconut milk
½ cup coconut oil, melted
1 ½ TBS white vinegar
2 tsp vanilla essence
For the icing:
4 cups icing sugar, sifted
½ cups vegan butter
⅓ cup full fat coconut milk
How to do it:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line 2 cake tins with baking paper on the bottom and a good covering of nonstick spray all around.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sugars, bicarb, salt, and coconut.
- Using a hand whisk mix it together just until everything is evenly distributed.
- Add the coconut milk, coconut oil, vinegar, and vanilla essence to the flour mixture.
- Using a spoon or spatula, mix just until everything is combined. If you overmix your cake will be tough.
- Evenly distribute the batter between the cake tins, smooth down with a spoon, and bake at 180°C for about 30 minutes, or when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Carefully remove them from the tins and leave to cool completely.
- Now you can either decide to finish the cake now or wait. I like to wrap my cakes up in clingfilm and refrigerate for a couple hours, a cold cake is much easier to level and ice.
- To make the icing, add the vegan butter into the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Beat on a medium speed until soft. Add the icing sugar and start mixing on the lowest speed.
- Slowly add the coconut milk and when it starts coming together, beat on high for about 5 minutes until smooth.
- If the mixture is too thick you can add a bit more coconut milk.
- Level your cooled cakes and sandwich with a good dollop of the icing. Spread a fine coat of the icing all around the cake. Refrigerate for 5 minutes then finish your icing.
- Top with shredded coconut, coconut pieces and crumbled offcuts off your cake.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did.
If you try it out give send me a message and let me know how it turned out xx
Or tag me in your creations on Instagram @flightoffancyfood or on Facebook @ninabakesstuff
If you’d like to try some of my other recipes how about:
Love and health to all of you,