vegan Peanut butter and chocolate popcorn bars
These bars are so easy to make and you can just make loads and keep them in the freezer for summer treats.
Also I think peanut butter, chocolate and popcorn is such an iconic combination.
What you’ll need:
¾ cup coconut oil
2 TBS light brown sugar (you can also use coconut sugar or liquid sweetener like agave)
1 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 heaped cups popped popcorn (I used IMBO popcorn kernels)
80 g dark chocolate
How to do it:
- In a baking tin, a smallish one (the one I used was a square cake tin 15 x 15 cm), line the bottom with nonstick paper and spray a little bit of non-stick spray around the sides.
- In a saucepan, melt the coconut oil with the sugar or sweetener. Keep stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the peanut butter, a pinch of salt and vanilla essence and using a hand whisk, stir until it’s smooth.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture into the lined pan. Add as much popcorn as you like, pushing it down so it’s embedded in the mixture.
- Sprinkle with a little fine salt and place in the freezer for about and hour.
- After the hour, temper your chocolate. You can use a double boiler or melt in the microwave in 15 second increments.
- When your chocolate is smooth and has no lumps, drizzle over the popcorn mix.
- Place back in the freezer for another hour or so. Remove and cut into desired size pieces.
- These are best kept in the freezer. Perfect for summer.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did!
If you give it a try, drop me a message and let me know how it turned out! Or you can tag me in your creations on Instagram @flightoffancyfood or on Facebook @ninabakesstuff
If you feel like trying something different, how about these?
Love and health to all of you and thanks for reading!